Library Research Warm-up
WGSS 308: Masculinities
Class librarian: Brian Vetruba (email@example.com)
With your partner(s), answer your assigned question. Feel free to ask for help
1. The topic you’ve chosen to research is househusbands and their identity as men. Besides these terms what other terms can you use to research your topic?
2. What are some other databases you could use for the topic househusbands and their identity as men. If you were looking at this from a psychological perpective? From a historical perspective? Or if you wanted to look at how househusbands are portrayed in film?
3. You’re looking for the following item. How can you get it? Determining if this is a book, journal article or DVD might help you.
Smith, Jeremy Adam. The daddy shift : how stay-at-home dads, breadwinning moms, and shared parenting are transforming the American family. Boston : Beacon Press, 2009.
4. You’re looking for the following. You were told it’s not in the WU Catalog, not in MOBIUS but you can get it from some library in the world. Determining if this is a book, journal article or DVD might help you.
From deadlines to diapers : journal of an at-home father / Mike Perricone. Chicago: Noble Press, 1992.
5. You’ve searched under “house husbands” in the Academic Search Premier database but are getting bad results. How can you find a better subject term?
6. Why would someone want to search “masculin*” instead of “masculine” in a database?
7. You want this article! Does the library have it? How can you get it? See the link and corresponding screenshot below.
8. Darn the library doesn’t have this article but you want it! You’ve checked the Catalog. Now what? See the link and the corresponding screenshot below.
Link to citation: http://bit.ly/fNY9fJ