Skip to Main Content

How to Submit Your Thesis or Dissertation (ETD)

Information about Access When You Submit an ETD at Washington University in St. Louis

Master's Thesis Submission Information

Master's theses are submitted directly to the Libraries repository. Anyone who submits a thesis will need to create a free account:

  1. Create an account through bepress at by clicking on My Account / Sign up.

  2. You will need to provide an email address and your first and last name, and you will need to create a password. You do not have to use your WUSTL email address, but you should use an email address you check regularly.

  3. After you sign up, you'll receive an email confirmation with a link you must click in order to activate your account.

  4. If you've successfully created an account and logged in, Open Scholarship should take you to your My Account page. From here, you can submit your thesis to the appropriate collection (series).

Refer to the relevant school for specific instructions.

More information about the thesis process including required forms and formatting is available through the Graduate School Masters Thesis Guide. This guide only discusses how to submit the thesis to the Open Scholarship repository for review and approval.

Thesis Submission Instructions by School

Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

​Master’s candidates in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (including the Brown School, Olin Business School, and University College) submit their theses electronically to Arts & Sciences Electronic Theses and Dissertations. Click Submit Research.

Graduate School reviewers will contact candidates through the repository system if there are formatting changes required and when a submitted thesis has been approved.

McKelvey School of Engineering

Master’s candidates in the McKelvey School of Engineering, submit their theses electronically to McKelvey School of Engineering Theses & Dissertations. Click Submit Research.

Reviewers from the School will approve the thesis and notify a candidate through the Open Scholarship system.

Students with a Master's / MS project in Computer Science and Engineering should submit their projects directly to the All Computer Science and Engineering Research collection.

Graduate School of Art, Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts

MFA in Visual Art candidates submit their approved theses to MFA in Visual Art. Click Submit Research.

MFA in Illustration and Visual Culture candidates submit their approved theses to MFA in Illustration & Visual Culture. Click Submit Research.

Master's students in the Graduate School of Architecture are not required to submit a thesis electronically but are encouraged to do so. Visit Open Scholarship -- Sam Fox School for more information.