Skip to Main Content

Law Library

A Law Faculty Research Assistant's Survival Guide

FAQs for Faculty Research Assistants

Q:  I have to get Prosser & Keaton on Torts for my professor.  Where do I start? 

A:  Your first step is to look in the online catalog.  If we have the book, you need to check it out to your professor through our proxy borrowing system.  Come to the circulation desk for the form your faculty member and yourself need to fill out.

Q:  I’ve found articles in online journals and now I need to print them out.  But, the page limit exceeds what I have left in my computer print account!  Help! 

A:  All professors have a print account for their RA’s use.  Please contact your professor’s faculty assistant to get usernames, passwords, and other information to access this account.

Q:  I have to copy 10 articles out of The Journal of the Missouri Bar from 1968.  Is this something the library can do for me? 

A:  No.  RAs are expected to do their own copying and book retrieval.  Your professor’s faculty assistant will provide you access to the School of Law photocopying facilities. If you need to copy materials from other Wash. U. libraries, please contact the library so we can give you a photocopy card to use at those other libraries. 

Q:  I need to get a copy of the European Public Affairs Directory.  The library doesn’t have a copy and Professor Peil needed it last week!  What do I do? 

A:  You need to place an interlibrary loan request through Illiad.  Make sure to sign up for an Illiad account with “RA YourLastName” as the username.  Use the information on the Law School Library’s interlibrary loan webpage to get started. 

Q:  I’m doing research into how to obtain injunctive relief under the Aliens Torts Claim Act.  I’ve watched the movie, Aliens, three times and it is of no help!  What am I doing wrong?

A:  The librarians are happy to help you with any research questions you may have. Come by to talk about research strategies  or how to locate databases or books on the topics you’re researching.