Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Primary vs Secondary
- Authoritative Texts
- From authoritative sources
- Cases, Statutes, Regulations, etc.
About the authoritative texts and what sort of 'law' they produce
Mandatory vs Persuasive
-What has to be followed versus whay may be followed
- Mandatory is almost always Primary
- Mandatory must be followed
- BUT Primary is NOT always Mandatory
- Jurisdiction Dependent (Usually)
-Persuasive authority may be followed, but no court or other entity is required to do so
- Persuasive authority may be primary or secondary