Skip to Main Content

Identifying Damaged Materials to Send to Preservation

This guide should assist staff and student assistants in identifying circulating and other material that needs repair or rebinding.

Detached or Damaged Covers

Sometimes the entire text block becomes detached from its covers (or boards) and sometimes the textblock is detached from its cover at the endsheets. These can often be fixed in-house.



Covers on hardbound books can also become distorted due to water or liquid damage.


Detached or Damaged Covers

Covers of hardbound books that are damaged or distorted due to liquids or other causes usually need rebinding, or in some cases are withdrawn/replaced. The Preservation Unit also tracks water damage when it receives these kinds of materials.